Residents of the Town of Smithfield may register their vehicle, trailer, or recreational vehicles at the Town Office during the tax collector’s office hours of Monday’s, Wednesday’s, & Friday’s from 8 to 11:30 and Wednesday Eve. From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Please call (207) 362-5649 for more information.
What do I need to register a motor vehicle?
1. Proof of insurance for the vehicle being registered. At the time of registration, proof of insurance must be shown as required by state law. Insurance cards may be faxed by an insurance company to the Town Office at (207) 362-5650
2. The current mileage of the vehicle to be registered.
3. For a new vehicle, the window sticker must be shown to determine the suggested retail price for excise tax purposes. If the window sticker is not on the vehicle or included with the paperwork given to you by the salesperson, please check the glove compartment or under the front seat. The dealership will place the sticker in either place, as they know it is required for the first registration. After registering your vehicle, please keep the window sticker as it must remain with the vehicle.
4. For vehicles purchased from a dealership, the salesperson will provide a blue title application and a green sales tax form. The registration agent will need information from the title application in order to process your registration. The green form shows that sales tax has been paid. The registration agent will keep this form and forward it to the State.
5. For vehicles purchased from a private party, a vehicle title is required for 1995 and newer vehicles . The seller should sign the back of the title in the appropriate place. Please do not cross out, white out, or erase any mistakes on the title. Doing so will void the title. If mistakes are made, come to the front counter at the Town Office and ask for a Transfer of Ownership (MVT-16) form. Also, a Release of Lien form may be required. The title form has an area on the front showing if a lien was on the vehicle. The lien may have to be released on a separate form, and if so, that form must also accompany the title for registration. Titles are $33.00 each and the fees will be collected at the time of registration.
6. A bill of sale is also required for a vehicle purchased from a private party. The bill of sale should include the sale price, make, model, mileage, and VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) for the vehicle being sold as well as the name and address of the seller. The bill of sale is required so that state sales tax (5% of the purchase price) can be collected at the time of the registration. Registrations for vehicles purchased and previously registered in another state require proof of registration from the previous state.
If you are required to file an SR-22 with the State of Maine, you must pay excise tax in Smithfield first, and then complete your vehicle registration at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Augusta.