Residents of the Town of Smithfield may register their vehicle, trailer, or recreational vehicles at the Town Office during the tax collector’s office hours of Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00am–11:30am and Wednesday evening from 6:00pm–8:00pm. Please call (207) 362-5649 for more information.
RENEW a current
What do I need to register a motor vehicle?
- Proof of insurance for the vehicle being registered. At the time of registration, proof of insurance must be shown as required by state law. Insurance cards may be faxed by an insurance company to the Town Office at (207) 362-5650
- The current mileage of the vehicle to be registered.
- For a new vehicle, the window sticker must be shown to determine the suggested retail price for excise tax purposes. If the window sticker is not on the vehicle or included with the paperwork given to you by the salesperson, please check the glove compartment or under the front seat. The dealership will place the sticker in either place, as they know it is required for the first registration. After registering your vehicle, please keep the window sticker as it must remain with the vehicle.
- For vehicles purchased from a dealership, the salesperson will provide a blue title application and a green sales tax form. The registration agent will need information from the title application in order to process your registration. The green form shows that sales tax has been paid. The registration agent will keep this form and forward it to the State.
- For vehicles purchased from a private party, a vehicle title is required for 1995 and newer vehicles. The seller should sign the back of the title in the appropriate place. Please do not cross out, white out, or erase any mistakes on the title. Doing so will void the title. If mistakes are made, come to the front counter at the Town Office and ask for a Transfer of Ownership (MVT-16) form. Also, a Release of Lien form may be required. The title form has an area on the front showing if a lien was on the vehicle. The lien may have to be released on a separate form, and if so, that form must also accompany the title for registration. Titles are $33.00 each and the fees will be collected at the time of registration.
- A bill of sale is also required for a vehicle purchased from a private party. The bill of sale should include the sale price, make, model, mileage, and VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) for the vehicle being sold as well as the name and address of the seller. The bill of sale is required so that state sales tax (5% of the purchase price) can be collected at the time of the registration. Registrations for vehicles purchased and previously registered in another state require proof of registration from the previous state.
If you are required to file an SR-22 with the State of Maine, you must pay excise tax in Smithfield first, and then complete your vehicle registration at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Augusta.
Renew My License/Permit
You may obtain drivers licenses and state identification cards by visiting one of the 13 motor vehicle branch offices throughout the state listed below. Motor vehicle mobile unit locations are temporarily closed.
19 Anthony Avenue
Augusta, ME 04330
Tel: (207) 287-3330 Fax: (207) 287-3389
23 Washington Street
Calais, ME 04619
Tel: (207) 454-2175 Fax: (207) 454-7987
22 School Street
Ellsworth, ME 04605
Tel: (207) 667-9363 Fax: (207) 667-0048
36 Mollison Way Suite 1
Lewiston, ME 04240
Tel: (207) 753-7750 Fax: (207) 783-5385
360 Old County Road Suite 1
Rockland, ME 04841
Tel: (207) 596-2255 Fax: (207) 596-2209
125B Main Street
Topsham, ME 04086
Tel: (207) 725-6520 Fax: (207) 725-1244
396 Griffin Road, Suite 202
Bangor, ME 04401
Tel: (207) 942-1319 Fax: (207) 945-0175
14 Access Highway Suite 2
Caribou, ME 04736
Tel: (207) 492-9141 Fax: (207) 492-9142
63 Portland Road
Kennebunk, ME 04043
Tel: (207) 985-4890 Fax: (207) 985-2849
125 Presumpscot Street
Portland, ME 04103
Tel: (207) 822-6400 Fax: 822-6417
65 Lincoln Avenue
Rumford, ME 04276
Tel: (207) 369-9921 Fax: (207) 369-0106
456 Main Street
Springvale, ME 04083
Tel: (207) 490-1261 Fax: (207) 324-4883